History of Lasting Heritage

Tracing the origins and milestones of a cherished community landmark.

Early Burial Traditions in Englewood

Before the Civil War and for some time after, there was no public burial ground in Englewood. Essentially, burials were made in family plots and churchyards.

The Tradition of Sacred Burial Grounds

The custom of setting apart a place for the burial of the dead dates from very ancient times. Wherever people have settled in families or communities, whether civilized or not, it has continued to be the custom to select and set apart some place to be used exclusively for this purpose.

The Search for a Permanent Cemetery Site

This question agitated the minds of the people of Englewood for some years before its final solution. Various places were suggested for a cemetery location, but it was not until the autumn of 1875 that any decisive action was taken.

The Vision Behind a Community Cemetery

At that time, nine well-known gentlemen of Englewood, seeing the growing need for a place of this kind and having the sufficient intellect to conceptualize what was required for such a purpose, called a meeting that was held at the home of Thomas M. Wheeler in Englewood on February 11, 1876.

The Formation of the Cemetery Association

At this meeting, it was voted by those present to proceed to form an association for the purpose of procuring and holding lands to be used exclusively for a cemetery and that the name of the association would be the Englewood Cemetery Association.

Establishing the Foundation and Leadership

At this meeting, six trustees were chosen, and the work of organizing, financing, and procuring suitable lands was started under the direction of Francis Howland, who was elected as the Association’s first President.

The Adoption of the Brookside Name

Following this February 1876 meeting, at the May 6, 1876, meeting, the name Brookside Cemetery was adopted. 

A Place of Beauty and Remembrance

The cemetery is located about three-quarters of a mile north of Palisade Avenue, on Engle Street, and over time, it has become the custom for lovers of the beautiful to visit this sacred spot where one can observe the beautiful monuments erected to mark the final resting place of loved ones and the floral tokens of love and affection laid upon their graves, that the memory of friends who have gone before is still fresh and green in the hearts of those left behind.

Founding Members and Trustees

Our records indicate that those present at this meeting were the following:

The Rev. Henry M. Booth

Frances Howland

Robert J. Hunter

Sheppard Homans

Cullen Sawtelle

Charles G. Sawtelle

Jeffery A. Humphrey

Chester C. Monroe

Thomas M. Wheeler

A Lasting Tribute Through Generations

The cemetery is located about three-quarters of a mile north of Palisade Avenue, on Engle Street, and over time, it has become the custom for lovers of the beautiful to visit this sacred spot where one can observe the beautiful monuments erected to mark the final resting place of loved ones and the floral tokens of love and affection laid upon their graves, that the memory of friends who have gone before is still fresh and green in the hearts of those left behind.